Home Sport Johanna Konta pulls OUT of Ostrava Open due to coronavirus fears following...

Johanna Konta pulls OUT of Ostrava Open due to coronavirus fears following disappointing 2020 season


Johanna Konta pulls OUT of Ostrava Open due to coronavirus fears with British No 1 ending her disappointing 2020 season following early Grand Slam exits at French and US Opens

  • British number one Johanna Konta has struggled since the coronavirus hiatus
  • The 29-year-old exited the French Open and the US Open in the early rounds
  • Konta has withdrawn from next week’s Ostrava Open due to coronavirus fears
  • The world number 13 does not feel comfortable travelling in the current climate

Johanna Konta will not play tennis again this year after pulling out of next week’s Ostrava Open in the Czech Republic. 

The British number one does not feel comfortable travelling while coronavirus cases are spiking, meaning she will use this time to focus on the 2021 season. 

Konta’s final game of 2020 saw her crash out of the French Open first round to 16-year-old American talent Coco Gauff in straight sets. 

Johanna Konta has withdrawn from next week's Ostrava Open due to Covid-19 health fears

Johanna Konta has withdrawn from next week’s Ostrava Open due to Covid-19 health fears

The 29-year-old has been in London this week, with the English capital moving into a Tier 2 lockdown phase which means members from separate households cannot meet indoors. 

Meanwhile, the Czech Republic has seen several new cases of the virus hit the population, with new infections trebling since the start of October. 

The Ostrava Open, a WTA hard court event in the Czech city, begins on Monday, with fifth seed Elina Svitolina currently the highest rank player taking part.

The British number one exited the US Open (above) and the French Open in the early rounds

The British number one exited the US Open (above) and the French Open in the early rounds 

Konta will not play again in 2020 and she split from coach Thomas Hogstedt (right) this year

Konta will not play again in 2020 and she split from coach Thomas Hogstedt (right) this year

Konta’s defeat to Gauff earlier this month saw her move to 13th in the women’s singles rankings, which compounded her second round defeat to unseeded Romanian Sorana Cirstea in September’s US Open. 

Before the tournament in Flushing Meadows, Konta split from coach Thomas Hogstedt, who had previously worked with Maria Sharapova and Caroline Wozniacki. 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

Hillary Clinton says the thought of Trump winning re-election makes her 'physically sick'

Hillary Clinton says the thought of Trump winning re-election makes her...

Chris Evans sends fans into a frenzy after sharing photo of his dog lying on his shirtless chest

Chris Evans sends fans into a frenzy after sharing photo of...

Moment MAGA supporter pulls out a gun and aims it at group of anti-Trump protesters in WA  

A MAGA supporter was filmed pulling out and aiming a handgun at a group of Anti-Trump demonstrators during a confrontation in suburban Seattle on...

Lizzo ditches her raven tressed for a flaming red 'do

She had been using her platform to transform the current climate in the United States by encouraging voter registration and participation.But Lizzo made...

Arsenal 'still interested in Houssem Aouar but face competition from Juventus'

Arsenal 'still interested in signing Lyon midfielder Houssem Aouar but face...