Barcelona transfer news LIVE: Express Sport brings you the latest updates coming out of the Nou Camp
Wednesday, July 24
- PSG have set Barcelona a deadline to sign Brazilian forward Neymar
- PSG want the deal completed by July 31 – nine days before the season
- Ernesto Valverde has left the door open for Ivan Rakitic to leave
- Lionel Messi has been banned for one game and fined £1200
Valverde praises Griezmann
Antoine Griezmann is bad news for opponents, says Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde.
The French international made his Barcelona debut against Chelsea yesterday and despite suffering a 2-1 defeat – Griezmann looked dangerous throughout.
“Antoine Griezmann has to get used to the game of the team, but you can see that when he gets the ball he is very dangerous,” he said.
”He is bad news for the opponents and we expect a lot from him, but this was just his first game.”
Barcelona have been set a transfer deadline to sign Neymar.
According to French outlet CNews, PSG chief Nasser Al-Khelaifi is concerned that talk over Neymar will disrupt their preparations for the new season.
And that PSG have set a deadline of July 31, nine days before the start of the new Ligue 1 campaign.
Should Barcelona fail to prise £200million-rated Neymar away from the Parc des Princes by then, he will reportedly remain with the group.
And the report adds PSG may even offer him a new contract with a vastly-improved salary to ensure he stay focused.
Ivan Rakitic to Man Utd
Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde has seemingly left the door open for Ivan Rakitic to join Manchester United.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side are thought to have shown interest in the Croatia international, who could replace Paul Pogba should be be offloaded this summer.
Rakitic, 31, has two years remaining on his current contract but Valverde wouldn’t assure him of regular first-team action.
“Rakitic has been an important player, I don’t know if it will be this season,” he said. “New players are coming and he will have to earn it.”
Lionel Messi fined
Lionel Messi has been banned for one game and fined £1200.
The Argentina captain was sent off against Chile and afterwards alleged that the tournament had been fixed in favour of Brazil, who beat Argentina in a controversial semi-final on their way to claiming the title.
Messi called the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) “corrupt” and did not attend the ceremony to pick up his medal.
CONMEBOL said on Tuesday that Messi’s comments were “unacceptable” but backed down from imposing a tougher sanction on the five-times world player of the year.